Monday, June 22, 2015

9 Lessons Learned in Rock Climbing (and in Life)

Recently, I came across with this TED talk video. Veteran rock climber Matthew Childs shares nine lessons learned in rock climbing that relate to the real world. Though, the speech was presented for non-climbers, Childs uses enough climbing lingoes that all outdoor enthusiasts can get the most out of.


Here are 3 of my favorite lessons: 

* Don't Let Go! Momentum is good. Don't stop. Don't give up. I've experienced this when I'm mountain biking on some steep hills and I keep reminding myself: "keep pedaling. keep the momentum. This is not the time to stop or take a break." I've also experienced it when I'm hiking with kids and they ask if we can stop and go back to the parking lot. The challenge is perhaps lack of anticipation when they don't know how long more the hike is going to take or if they're going to face more uphill.  

* Have A Plan! Perhaps, a back-up plan too! But, do yourself a favor and don't go on an adventure without a plan, without tools and preparation. And here's one of my favorite quotes from an unknown author: "If the plan doesn't work, change the plan, but never the goal."

* Fear Sucks! Fear can stop us in our tracks and hold us back. Not that I'm claiming to be a fearless outdoor enthusiast or a fearless person in general but I do remember my friends were worried about my solo trekking trip in the Alps and all I had to tell them was: "If your dreams are not scary, then they're not big enough.

Finally, I leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

"Winning isn't about finishing in first place. It isn't about beating the others. It is about overcoming yourself." 
-Killian Jornet
  

No comments:

Post a Comment